Friday, July 23, 2010

How I handle Panhandlers

With the current economy, the way it is just about all over, I tend towards frugality. I'm a fair cook, eat at home, and when I go out it's usually a treat with friends--or sometimes to indulge myself with a self-given reward of a fish taco or a cool caramel frappucino. You know what I'm talking about.

Watching my money also extends to regular and potential purchases at the grocery store, computer stores (big weakness there), the hardware/home-repair stores (the Man toy store), and bookstores. However what ever I buy, the receipt is kept till it's entered in my budget spreadsheet, where I track all income, purchases and expenses. I know and totally respect the value of a dollar.

The point of this blog entry is to share how I handle panhandlers, using a basic philosophy I developed some years ago when it dawned in my naive youth's mind that what some folks ask for (money) and what they say they are going to use it for (e.g. gas or food) is often not the truth. And personally, with what I mentioned above, this really infuriates me when I #1 value honesty and #2 know that there are needy people out there who really are in hard times.

Take for example last night, true story. A friend invited me to dinner with some other mutual friends. I arrived on time and got out of my car to begin the short walk across the parking lot.

Immediately, I spotted and "knew" a man approaching was going to ask...

Man: "Excuse me sir. I know what this may look like. Sorry to bother you, but I was heading up to Sacramento and just down the road I ran out of gas. Can I have a few bucks to put some gas in my car?"

I sighed. I've lost count--really and truly--how many times I've heard some variation of the same thing. My response is very simple and I'll cut out all the exact dialog we exchanged for about five minutes. Essentially, the response goes something like this:

RULE: LISTEN AND OFFER TO GIVE THEM WHAT THEY ARE ASKING FOR, BUT NOT THE MONEY.

"Hi. Well I'm really sorry to hear that. Listen and please understand. I've learned over the years that my #1 rule of thumb, when people ask for money to get (so and so) gas or food is I will do whatever I can to help: if you need to get gas, I'll go with you and we'll get the gas. If you're hungry, we'll go get some food. And I've eaten many a meal with someone I did not know. Really. But, I will not give you any money directly. It's just a rule I've developed."

(Then oddly enough, though I have not done this in the past, a jewel of a thought hit me...)

I paused then continued. "Now, you need to understand, you coming up to me and asking me to believe you is a sign you're asking me to trust you and what you say. I'm willing to believe you--but to build on that trust I need to ask if you're willing to go with me to get the gas, we first drive to your car, you unlock it and we check the gas gauge to make sure it says what you say. I'm willing to really help you out, whatever it takes, but we need to trust each other first. Can we go to your car first?"

He then (of course) back pedaled and changed his story so that the whole situation was more about food. And as sincere as he came across, as winning as his lowly self could muster a reply, I countered with what I hoped was an empathetic response. "Look. You're now changing your story. Why didn't you ask me that in the first place? I'm sorry. You've broken what could have been a trust between us. I need to go. May I suggest, the next person you come up to you let them know truthfully about your need and not mess about."

And that is how I handle panhandlers. Works every time.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Sigh.

The lady I'm dealing with gets defensive and angry very quickly. I'm to the point where I just want a taser.

B Brasington said...

That lady is a predicament. She seems to have made a stakeout of the area and doesn't appear to move on. Majority of panhandlers I've come across tend to migrate--it appears--from areas into other cities. (One gentleman I had lunch with one time actually had a sophisticated two-way radio with him, hidden in an inside jacket pocket. I kept hearing the squelch break. When he reached in to tighten the squelch, I subtly asked him what that was and he explained it was his brother, checking in. Weird).

Just be smart, careful, and discerning, whatever is decided so she does not take it personally out on you. She appears to be territorial. --But I know you can handle yourself.

Stormspotter Todd / KB4MHH said...

(sigh) Remember when I used to work at McD's on 13th and University, Bennie? (Back about 1978/9, when they still had Space Invaders in little tables at the Leonardo's on the nearby corner, and that other game I used to really like with the sun which gravity you could adjust or even make negative, the name of which I'd really like to know because I've forgotten it, now. "Space..."-something. :) )

Anyway, the asst mgr there was such a jerk and he did NOT like panhandlers. Whenever they'd come into the store and bother people in it he'd walk up to the panhandler, grab him by the ear, and physically drag them, SCREAMING in pain, out the front door and off of the property - with a number of loud threats, to boot. I used to hate him for that. I thought he was so mean and cruel.

Today, I've experienced many a panhandler in my life, too. And I've found that most all do exactly the opposite with the money than what they said they would do with it. Very often, they'll even do it right in front of you, not even trying to hide it.

Once had a really pretty woman approach me in a parking lot after exiting the local Best Buy, asking for "whatever I could spare" so she could use it to fill up her car. "If you want to go someplace private I'll even do that, if you like. I've got a little kid in the car and I need the gas to get away from my abusive boyfriend." Feeling really weird at having been so "propositioned", and not knowing whether to believe her or not, I gave her $20, hoping I was doing the right thing. I remained in my car and watched her walk to the gas station, walk right past the gas station, and continue to ask other people for money. ...And I felt really stupid. After that, I changed how my thinking over how "nice" I was going to be with people after that.

I've tried to do the same thing as you...offering to give them a ride to their "car", filling their gas tank, or physically purchasing and handing them the sandwich. But most often, in my personal experience, they'd resent my refusal to be "obliviously and apathetically stupid", and they'd become irate and storm off thorwing insults (sometimes even threats) at me. Most of the time, however, it becomes obvious that they wanted the money for something OTHER than was proffered. Really though, they're people I just don't know and, honestly, stopping to offer them kindness is taking a chance that they're not a psychopath or a neurotic, and I could be putting myself at risk of never being seen again.

Today, I just wave them off and ignorem them. Hate to say it. Not that I'm a snob. Not that I'm mean. I'm not rude. I just don't acknowledge their eye contact anymore, and I hold up my hand and shake my head as if to say "Don't even try." But I'm just NOT going to give handout to someone I don't know, and who is most likely just going to use it for a bottle or for a plastic bag of "Gainesville Green" or something similar.

I don't grab them by the ear as my old manager used to, but it shamefully appears that I, too, have now become "learn-ed-ly calloused", if you will.

Darn it. I had to say "Leonardo's". NOW I want a pizza! (sigh) It's all your fault! ;O)